orthognathic surgery,janell smith,jaw surgery,lower jaw surgery,over bit,overjet,the quest for less character, character blog, braces, adult braces,mandibular advancement, jaw The quest for less character: Day 7 and 8 - Just Call me Elvis!

Oct 17, 2011

Day 7 and 8 - Just Call me Elvis!

I have found a new snack that is quickly becoming my best friend.  A mashed up banana with a tablespoon of peanut butter. The combination is quick and easy to get down, very tasty and packs a whopping 290 calories and 9 grams of protein.  Guess I have have this in common with "The King."  Minus the sandwich bread of course.

Prior to surgery I prepared some meals for my family and put them in the freezer to make it easier for them while I was recovering.  One of the things I made was chicken enchiladas.  As they were baking yesterday, the smell was really making my mouth water so I decided to put one in the blender with a little chicken broth. The texture is something I will need to work on getting used to, but it was actually very yummy. Tasted exactly like a chicken enchilada.  Even if it did look like baby food.

Today I felt well enough to be in the kitchen cooking. I am already beginning to tire of canned soups, so I decided to make some of my own.  Today was Vichyssoise and butternut squash soup.  They both ended up very tasty and I had a little bit of both for dinner. I love cooking and it makes me feel human again to be in the kitchen.  I probably over did it a little, as I am quite tired this evening, but it felt good to be productive.

As far as swelling goes, it is going down more and more each day.  Its still there and is still quite noticeable but you can tell I have cheeks now.  Its a little weird though, in that it seems to move around.  Since each side of my face seems to have its own personality, we have lovingly given each side a name.  The left side of my face is "Lucy" and the right side of my face is "Ethel," and of course my neck is named, "Shrek."

For the last few days, Ethel has been the one acting up.  She has been where most of the pain and swelling has been, while Lucy has been fairly quiet.  Today however; Lucy was being rowdy. She was more swollen and had a bit more pain. Its weird how they take turns.   As for Shrek, he is about the same.  Green.

My pain still seems to follow the same pattern as it has been all week.  Less in the early part of the day, increasing as the day goes on, worse at night. My middle-of-the-night pain has started to lessen though, so that's a huge relief. For several nights in a row, about 4 am I was awake and in tears from my pain level. Sharon, bless her heart would get up, get my heat pack for my face and neck and rub my feet until the pain medicine would kick in and I would fall asleep. She has been such an Angel.  So patient and kind, and selfless. Whatever I need, or even think about needing, she is right there with it. She is truly the perfect nurse!

My plan is to start decreasing the frequency of my pain meds starting on Wednesday. I need to be completely off of them, or at least only taking them at night by the weekend, so that I can prepare to go back to work next week.

Honestly, I'm not as worried about my pain tolerance as I am not being able to speak clearly, when I go back. It will comical I'm sure.  I work with a great team of people with great senses of humor.  They are very supportive and will be sure to make fun of me every chance they get, which I have already given them free reign to do so. That is how I cope.  Laughter.

Anyway, that's all to report today.  Time is flying and I'm gaining on this healing thing!

No comments:

Post a Comment